- State and Regional
Water Boards' Map
- Board Priorities
- Make a Payment
- Decisions Pending and Opportunities for Public Participation
- Projects and Publications
- Data Reporting and Access
- Quick Links
Groundwater Issue: Supply
Groundwater resources play a vital role in maintaining California's economic and environmental sustainability. During a typical year, approximately 40 percent of the state's total water supply comes from groundwater. During dry years, groundwater contributes up to 60 percent (or more) of the state's total supply, and serves as a critical buffer against the impacts of drought and climate change. Many municipal, agricultural, and disadvantaged communities rely on groundwater for up to 100 percent of their water supply needs regardless of whether it is a wet or dry year. Groundwater extractions in excess of natural and managed recharge have caused historically-low groundwater elevations in many regions of California. Ensuring proper management of our groundwater resources, in conjunction with surface water resources, has become even more important as California continues to experience drought conditions.
The Water Boards protect the state's water supply and works to ensure all of California's water resources, including groundwater, are sustainably managed through a number of programs and activities, including:
- DROUGHT – Learn about the State Water Board's drought year water actions and drought-related topics, including: water conservation; water rights and allocations; and funding opportunities. More information...
- DRINKING WATER – Learn about drinking water and the drought, including: drought preparedness and water supply emergency response for public water systems. More information...
- SUSTAINABLE GROUNDWATER MANAGEMENT – The Groundwater Management Program (GMP) works with state and local authorities to help achieve sustainable management of California's groundwater resources. More information...
- AQUIFER STORAGE AND RECOVERY – The statewide General Waste Discharge Requirements for Aquifer Storage and Recovery (ASR) Projects that Inject Drinking Water into Groundwater facilitates the use of treated drinking water to recharge groundwater aquifers, which is recovered later from the aquifers when it is needed. More information...
- GROUNDWATER ELEVATION – Access groundwater elevation monitoring data through GeoTracker GAMA. More information...
Keep up to date on the Water Boards’ groundwater activities: subscribe to one or more email lists and receive announcements and updates by email.
Have a program-specific question? Ask the program. Contact information is available on the program's website (accessible through the Programs tab).